In the residential construction and maintenance field, HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) is considered a specialized trade. Within the HVAC realm, air conditioning can be considered a specialty field of its own. Not every HVAC worker is qualified to service central AC systems.

Because of the complexity of the modern air conditioning system and the potential for environmental damage, air conditioning technicians are somewhat governed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Under EPA regulations, any technician working with refrigerant must be EPA certified and licensed. All central air systems utilize one of two types. Older models use R-22 or Freon, and newer models use R-410 Puron. These refrigerants are only sold to licensed dealers. This is why companies offering air conditioning repair in Fort Myers FL have EPA certified technicians on staff.

EPA certification under Section 608 consists of an in depth test to ensure the technician has the requisite knowledge. In order to pass the testing requirements, most technicians attend a specialized trade school. Certification is broken down into Type I for small appliances and Type II for high pressure AC systems.

For quality companies, the education does not end at certification. There are many central air manufacturers in the world today, each with its own specifications for servicing and repair. Technicians often attend classes sponsored by manufacturers for the correct method of servicing and repairing their products. The manufacturer will then provide an authorization for certain dealers who meet their training requirements.

Due to the education, training and experience involved in the central air field, it can be a risky proposition to use a general handyman or non-certified technician. In some cases, the non-licensed worker will not be able to purchase the required refrigerant.

In other cases a manufacturers warranty may be voided by allowing a technician not authorized by the manufacturer. When having his or her central air unit serviced or repaired, two of the questions that must be asked are whether the person performing the work is EPA certified under Section 608 and whether the technician is authorized by the particular manufacturer.