- 3-1/2 poundssweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 stickbutter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoongranulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoongrated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoonpumpkin-pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 1 cupcorn flakes
- 1/2 cupfirmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cupchopped pecans
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough salted water to cover them, and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Transfer to a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat in 1/2 stick butter, the granulated sugar, orange peel, pumpkin-pie spice, and salt. Transfer to a baking dish. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
2. In a small bowl, mix together corn flakes, brown sugar, and pecans. Melt remaining 1/2 stick butter, and stir into corn-flake topping. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
3. On Thanksgiving Day, remove potatoes and topping from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Heat oven to 375°F. Heat sweet potatoes in microwave for 20 minutes at 50 percent power to warm. Stir. Sprinkle topping over potatoes and bake in oven for 20 minutes.